Please click on the links below to view the FAQ answers.
How do I apply to the Bioinformatics and Integrative Genomics Program?
Why is Zaklab called that?
BIG is a graduate program directed by Peter Park. The application can be found here
Because that's what students started calling it and the name stuck.
In which department is Zaklab?
Is Zaklab part of HST?
Yes, Zak Kohane is an HST-affiliated faculty.
Do you have an open slot for a student?
With very rare exceptions only students who are already in one of the local (Harvard, MIT, BU, NorthEastern) universities can join the lab.
Do you have an open slot for a post-doctoral fellow?
See the scrolling window on the right for any available positions.
Should I go to medical school?
Excellent question. I am asked this a lot. Perhaps I'll write my thoughts out in long form soon. But for now:
- Google 'physician burnout'.
- Getting clinical training is going to cost you 4 + 3 years (school + residency) + 3 years (fellowship). If research is your goal then 1 decade is a heck of a detour during your most creative years.
- Average age for R01 (NIH independent grant) for MDs: 42-44 years old.
- Unlikely that doctors in the trenches will change the structural challenges challenges facing medicine today. More likely to be done by disruptive companies and dramatically different leadership.
- If you go through medical training just for the journey, I get it. But 10 years is quite an investment in life tourism.
- If you do go into practice, bless you! We're going to need many smart people to 'take one for the team' and take care of us. It's a noble calling but you risk getting ground down by the 'machine.'